I let it lapse last October as I wasn't gonna use it over winter anyway.
Fired it up today, inflated the flat rear tyre and off I went on my merry way.
I'd told the guy I wanted a "sympathetic" M.O.T.
He put it up on the ramps, had a good look underneath, checked the bearings and whatnot, tested the emissions and so on.
Full, easy pass.
Wanted to know why I wanted a sympathetic MOT, was it because of the borderline rear tyres? Erm, yeah, spose... (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
I don't give that car enough credit...
So I drove into work with it today.
And now the sun has come out in readiness for my trip home.
Happy days!
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rock.gif)
Quality!!
I drove mine (the 1.5 miles) to work on monday this week, 1st time this year and thoroughly enjoyed every Yard of it (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/beavisnbutthead.gif)
Mine's in bits ! (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rolleyes.gif) - It's MoT'ed, though. (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rofls.gif)
Nice one, Mate. (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/up.gif)
Have you fixed that gearbox yet, Hardrock? (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/smirk.gif)
Don't be silly!!!
However, I have almost finished sorting out my finances, so I should be able to buy some stuff for it this year. I don't know in what order I'll be doing stuff, probably:
shocks
lowering springs
polybushes
adjustable lca's
adjustable panhard rod
then
brakes (vette callipers and discs up front, some form of disc conversion to rear), this may or may not require new larger rims (probably will as my rear tyres are shot anyway)
then
transmission rebuild with shift kit
then
rear gear change
That's the plan anyway, I suspect it will need an exhaust at some point though.
That's a lot do there, hopefully I can get the suspension and maybe brakes (but probably not) sorted by the end of the season.
Then before next season starts I can ge the transmission and rear gears sorted.
Basically, because the box is soldiering on I'm gonna do the stuff that affects how the car feels/drives first.
I also need to take a look at my grounds as I'm still not convinced on the general electrics (although everything works).
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
polybushes
adjustable lca's
adjustable panhard rod
They're next on my list.
I'm going for the Adj Lakewood Panhard and the Non-adj Lakewood LCA.
Looking at a shortened Torque arm to ease future Tranny changes, too . . . .
Mine is only getting Routine Maintainance this year unless my money situation changes somewhat for the better... (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/sad.gif)
Quoting: Roadkill
They're next on my list.
I'm going for the Adj Lakewood Panhard and the Non-adj Lakewood LCA.
Looking at a shortened Torque arm to ease future Tranny changes, too . . . .
I'm looking at Tokico shocks, Eibach springs and probably Spohn tubular bits. Oh and a decent strut brace too.
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
I'm looking at Tokico shocks, Eibach springs and probably Spohn tubular bits. Oh and a decent strut brace too.
If you can hold on a while im setting up with Hotchkis as UK dealer, going to get a load of bits for mine so if you need anything i can get you very large discount, can already get Spohn stuff
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/beavisnbutthead.gif)
Sounds like the way forward.
Hotchkiss is supposed to be v good stuff (if pricey).
Was only looking at Spohn due to the adjustability which seems missing in Hotchkiss stuff and needed really to keep axle centered and so on if you lower the car?
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
I'm looking at Tokico shocks, Eibach springs
I'll let you know how mine goes when I get it back together (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/up.gif) . . . . My Tokicos should arrive here in a couple of weeks.
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
and a decent strut brace too
Probably gonna have to get Rocky to fab me up a custom one of those as no manufacturer make one for the '83 (carb) Camaro . . .
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Quoting: Roadkill
no manufacturer make one for the '83 (carb) Camaro
How come?
Is the shape of the car different, or is the carb in a different place?
again, congrats Andy!
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Hotchkiss is supposed to be v good stuff (if pricey).
Was only looking at Spohn due to the adjustability which seems missing in Hotchkiss stuff and needed really to keep axle centered and so on if you lower the car?
I compared prices and Spohn was slightly more expensive and some of their parts need tweeking to fit.
Hotchkis do adjustable panhard bars.
Will be making my own strut brace maybe out of billit alloy.(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/wink.gif)
Quoting: Rocky
Will be making my own strut brace maybe out of billit alloy
Interesting...
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/wink.gif)
Quoting: Pod
How come?
Is the shape of the car different, or is the carb in a different place?
Dunno - most list '85 onwards . . . I'm guessing only TBI or TPI.
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/down.gif)
I want one that goes back to the bulkhead otherwise it wouldn't be so much of a big deal . . .
Quoting: Rocky
Will be making my own strut brace maybe out of billit alloy
How much, ball park, for a custom tubular steel one back to the bulk head ?
It's gotta miss a carb/airfilter. (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/wink.gif) - apart from that the engine bay's pretty clear. (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/tongue.gif)
Not knowing much about the non TPI cars...
Edelbrock do one for TBI cars which look similar with a pancake air filter etc?
(http://i.b5z.net/i/u/509876/i/edl_5227.jpg)
Full details:
http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/sdetail/7427Would that clear?
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Would that clear?
I would guess it would BUT whenever I've seen that for sale it's said to fit '85 - onwards . . .
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Apart from buying one and test fitting I don't know how to be sure.
What makes it worse is that my Car's an '83, The engine's a '92 and the Intake, Carb and Dizzy are all aftermarket !!!
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rolleyes.gif)
Quoting: Roadkill
I would guess it would BUT whenever I've seen that for sale it's said to fit '85 - onwards . . .
It should fit fine, but I ran into the same problem when I had my old car.
As far as i know the stock Carb'd and TBI 3rd gens shared the same air cleaner assembly, only the baseplate was different to fit the 2BBL TBI injector.
Quoting: FUBAR
As far as i know the stock Carb'd and TBI 3rd gens shared the same air cleaner assembly, only the baseplate was different to fit the 2BBL TBI injector.
Yeah but I've also got
Quoting: Roadkill
What makes it worse is that my Car's an '83, The engine's a '92 and the Intake, Carb and Dizzy are all aftermarket !!!
to contend with as well.
Maybe I could order it and sell it on if anyone wants one ?
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Dean i'd probably buy that off you mate if it didn't fit
They are different on TBI and TPI cars
Quoting: Fin170703
Dean i'd probably buy that off you mate if it didn't fit
O.K, mate, will bear that in mind . . . . I'm sure we could work something out . . .