If you don't like Techincal details look away now !
According to the Italian NEVIS (New Exhaust Valve & Intake System) Engine Company LTD., this sort of engine will soon be a reality. Complete with innovations such as donut-shaped pistons, the ability to run on any fuel you like (gasoline, diesel, bio, meth, hydrogen) (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/chiny.gif)
Gotta admire the Engineering but just look at a piston assembly (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/shame.gif)
(http://www.nevisengine.com/technical_file/image012.jpg)
(http://www.nevisengine.com/technical_file/image013.jpg)
Here's the combustion principle :
(http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/06/bortone1.jpg)
http://www.nevisengine.com/technical.htmGotta wonder if this is another "Obital " engine masterpiece which will never see production (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Looks expensive. (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/smirk.gif)
that looks incredibly complex..
looks fragile .........(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/confused.gif)
The japs experimented with this years ago and built an engine the size of a biscuit tin with 2 "pistons", it supposedly produced a couple of hundred HP with quite a respectable amount of torque.
Only about 1/2 a liter capacity from memory.
I think they determined they couldn't make it last long enough with the materials at the time to make it economically viable.
Maybe now though with better materials this could be possible.
Quoting: Shifty
I think they determined they couldn't make it last long enough with the materials at the time to make it economically viable.
The Mazda RX8 (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rofls.gif)
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/funny.gif) (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/funny.gif) (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rofls.gif) (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rofls.gif)
Quoting: F Body
The Mazda RX8
WHAT THE!!!!
Don't get me started boy (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/devil.gif) (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif) (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rolleyes.gif)
i've calmed down a bit now.
Greatest engine ever made, more specifically the RX7 turbo 2 13B, not the RX8 renesis.
Cheeky monkey that F Body, looks like I haven't educated you guys enough, I feel another 19 hour lecture coming on on how good the rotary engine is.
I'll educate you into submission, match sticks on the ready.
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/funny.gif)
Quoting: Shifty
Cheeky monkey that F Body, looks like I haven't educated you guys enough, I feel another 19 hour lecture coming on on how good the rotary engine is.
Ok lads, is it my turn to buy the rotten tomatoes?
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/soap.gif) (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/greenrocket.gif)
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/tongue.gif)
Quoting: Shifty
Cheeky monkey that F Body, looks like I haven't educated you guys enough, I feel another 19 hour lecture coming on on how good the rotary engine is.
There a dam fine engine if you don't like torque, reliability and own shares in an oil company (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/wink.gif)
My personal opinion is the rotary engine will never work as well as a piston engine because :
1/ Different Thermal exspansion rates of the rotor and chamber.
2 / Wear at the sealing tips.
3 / Sealing the rotor edges ( i.e high oil consumption ).
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/nhl_fight.gif)
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/up.gif)
Even Madza aren't sure (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/wink.gif)
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/24/mazda-to-recall-the-rx-8/
Name one other large car manufacturer that has :
A / An engine remanufacturing plant for a current vehicle engine (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
B / Has a whole plant dedicated to the repair of one special engine type (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Welcome to the Mazda remanufacturing plant in North Carolina (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rofls.gif)
The Prosecution rests (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rtfm.gif)
Quoting: F Body
The Defence rests
Surely you're the Procecution snd Shifty is the Defence... (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Quoting: Titsy
Surely you're the Procecution snd Shifty is the Defence...
Valid point - edited above (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/wink.gif)
May be it should Prostitution of an internal combustion engine (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/rofls.gif)
Valid points. (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/chiny.gif)