MKB Forum

Forum Information => Questions and Queries => Topic started by: Giblets on July 18, 2007, 04:21:54 PM

Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 18, 2007, 04:21:54 PM
Roughly in kilos, how much does my IROC weigh?

My MOT guy reckons the handbrake ain't up to the job assuming the IROC weighs about 1800 kilos.

I'd say it weighs less than that, and Rocky's MOT guy had no problem with it last year anyway.

Aside from that 2 cracking rear tyres bolloxed my MOT anyway, which is another £172 plus the retest fee.

ARSES!(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/down.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Jamieg285 on July 18, 2007, 04:24:40 PM
No idea what it would be, but I can weigh it for you if you like?

Is the handbrake weak and needs adjusting, or is he claiming that the stock brake system isn't up to the job regardless?
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Roadkill on July 18, 2007, 04:32:23 PM
Aren't they around 1650kgs ? (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: ianjpage on July 18, 2007, 04:45:16 PM
daft question - doesn't it say on teh door sticker ? ?
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Titsy on July 18, 2007, 05:20:06 PM
What year?
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 18, 2007, 05:56:52 PM
1986

I'm not with the car right now so can't look on the door.

It's just the efficiency of the handbrake he's concerned about.

Just re-ordered 2 more Kumho Ecsta Sports from Mytyres and they've gone up to £86 per corner.

The only tyre in that size that E-tyres had in stock were Cooper Zeons at £126 per corner. Ouch!
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: F Body on July 18, 2007, 05:57:48 PM
A 1989 3rd Gen weighs 1376kg if that helps (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Rocky on July 18, 2007, 06:15:41 PM
Should have brought it in we get free re-tests and my guy is a bit more understanding on Yanks for handbrakes as they are hardly used.
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: FUBAR on July 18, 2007, 06:21:15 PM
Quoting: Roadkill
Aren't they around 1650kgs ?


thats what I told Andy (?) at Paragon mine weighs
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: FUBAR on July 18, 2007, 06:24:07 PM
Quoting: F Body
A 1989 3rd Gen weighs 1376kg if that helps


will have to remember that... (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/up.gif)

Quoting: Rocky
more understanding on Yanks for handbrakes as they are hardly used.


Every time I park m8 (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/cool.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: F Body on July 18, 2007, 08:39:16 PM
Quoting: FUBAR
thats what I told Andy (?) at Paragon mine weighs


I have free access to a DOT registered weigh bridge at work (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/chiny.gif)

Hence I know my car weighs 1645kg with a full tank of fuel (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/wink.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 19, 2007, 10:43:23 AM
Thanks chaps.

How would a 1989 thirs gen weigh 300kg less then?

Did they make them out of carbon fibre and aluminium?
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 19, 2007, 10:46:05 AM
Quoting: Rocky
Should have brought it in we get free re-tests and my guy is a bit more understanding on Yanks for handbrakes as they are hardly used.


I would have mate if you were a bit nearer!

I chanced it with my garage around the corner and it clearly backfired.

If they are gonna be a pain about this handbrake I might book into your mates for next week after all.
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 19, 2007, 11:11:01 AM
Rocky - do you have the tools to swap a couple of rear tyres over for me if I did bring her down?
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: HardRockCamaro on July 19, 2007, 12:01:03 PM
A 3rd gen Z28 weighs round 1,450kilos depending on spec, a 4th gen Z28 weighs about another 100kg, again, depending on spec.

Leccy seats and airocn and whatnot add weight and the euro 4th gens were well specced up iirc.


I suspect the 4th gen had plastic panels in an effort to try and keep the weight down which was starting to get out of hand..
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 19, 2007, 12:20:05 PM
So what would you esitmate my car's weight at Andy?
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 19, 2007, 01:12:18 PM
I've been on thirdgen.org and iroczone.net and despite now knowing that 2 workers once died mining the steel that goes into building the crankshaft of the 305TPi neither site had the fooking weight of the car on it!!!!

Is this some close guarded grail like secret or something?
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: HardRockCamaro on July 19, 2007, 01:28:21 PM
I have the full detailed spec from GM, a multi page document that lists the dimensions and weight of most of the stuff on the car, including stuff like the propshaft and so on.  I also have the base weight of the coupe and convertible in base and z28 trim, plus the weight of a lot of the acessories (eg rear window heater, seats etc).

I'll post what I can this evening.

I'd *estimate* that a z28/iroc with the 5.0 and a lot of options (eg air, heated rear screen, leccy seat) would probably come in at around 1550, dry.
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: HardRockCamaro on July 19, 2007, 01:29:37 PM
The base car can weigh up to 200kg less than the fully loaded version.  This is why spring rates were selected by computer on the assembly line.
It's not a secret, just complex.

What does your door jamb sticker say?
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Roadkill on July 19, 2007, 02:28:22 PM
Quoting: F Body
I have free access to a DOT registered weigh bridge at work


(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/chiny.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 19, 2007, 03:11:33 PM
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
What does your door jamb sticker say?


Very difficult to read. 21 years of water and grime have made it very faint.

Thanks for the help though. I'll await your no doubt accurate prognosis tomorrow!
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Jamieg285 on July 19, 2007, 03:17:18 PM
Quoting: Giblets
Thanks for the help though. I'll await your no doubt accurate prognosis tomorrow!


You'll have to get it weighed now, to see how close he gets!!

(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/tongue.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 19, 2007, 03:28:14 PM
Quoting: Jamieg285
You'll have to get it weighed now, to see how close he gets!!


My bathroom scales only go up to 120 kilos though!
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Jamieg285 on July 19, 2007, 03:43:17 PM
Quoting: Jamieg285
but I can weigh it for you if you like?


I have proffesional corner weight scales.

Quoting: F Body
I have free access to a DOT registered weigh bridge at work  


I'm sure one of us can help you out.
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Roadkill on July 19, 2007, 04:29:03 PM
I wish I'd got my Z28 weighed when I got it . . . (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/can.gif)

Definately gonna get it weighed when she's done, though. (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/drive.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: F Body on July 19, 2007, 05:37:49 PM
I can find loads of details on the 1986 Camaro but not it's weight (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/sad.gif)

http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camaro_info_db/index.php?year=1986&act=general_info_2&bmid=37

Seems like they didn't even put the weight onto the technical specification until 1989 (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: F Body on July 19, 2007, 05:51:28 PM
Found it (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/up.gif)

1986 Camaro Model Stats:

Model                                Weight.

Sport Coupe 4-Cylendar      2,900
Sport Coupe V6                  2994
Sport Coupe V8                  3116
Berlinetta Coupe V6            3063
Berlinetta Coupe V8            3116
Z28 Sport Coupe V8            3201
IROC-Z Sport Coupe V8      3278
           
http://www.lewzworld.com/camaro/1986.html

So take 3278 lb / 2.2046 = 1486.89kg (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/worship.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 19, 2007, 06:31:42 PM
(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/party.gif)

Not that heavy at all for a nearly 5 metre long lump of steel with a 5 litre engine then!

Thanks fellas!
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: HardRockCamaro on July 19, 2007, 06:37:21 PM
Not so fast grasshopper!

According to this official GM document which I am sad enough to own:

(http://homepage.mac.com/hardrockcamaro/.Pictures/camaro/documents/gm1988camarotechspecs.jpg)


1988 Sport Coupe - Base Kerb Weight - 1385.4Kg
1988 Sport Convertible - Base Kerb Weight - 1519.5Kg

1988 IROC-Z Coupe - Base Kerb Weight - 1464.5Kg
1988 IROC-Z Convertible - Base Kerb Weight - 1520.2Kg


Option weights (add to base wieght):
Power Seat (RPO AG9) - 5.0Kg
Power Door Locks (RPO A03) - 1.8Kg
Power Windows (RPO A31) - 2.2Kg
Electric Trunk Release (RPO RPO A90) - 0.6Kg
Floor Mats Front (RPO B34) - 1.2Kg
Floor Mats Rear (RPO B35) - 0.8Kg
Deluxe Luggage Compartment Trim (RPO B48) - 1.8Kg
Body Side Mouldings (RPO B84) - 0.6Kg
T-Tops (RPO CC1) - 15.4Kg
Windshield Washer Pulse system (RPO CD4) - 0.2Kg
Rear Window Defogger (RPO C49) - 0.4Kg
Air Conditioning for 5.0TPI (RPO C60) -  27.8Kg
Power Mirrors (RPO DG7) - 1.6Kg
Rear Compartment Cargo Cover (RPO D42) - 2.6Kg
4 Wheel Disc Brakes (RPO J65) - 7.0Kg
Cruise Control with Resume (RPO K34) - 2.0Kg
5.0L TPI Engine Option (RPO LB9) for man transmission - 87.0Kg
5.0L TPI Engine Option (RPO LB9) for auto transmission - 74.4Kg
5.7L TPI Engine Option (RPO L98) - 83.6Kg
5 speed Manual Transmission (RPO M39) - 2.0Kg
TH700R4 Automatic Transmission (RPO MX0) - 41.6Kg
Steering Column Tilt (RPO N33) - 1.0Kg
Auxilary Lamp Group inc underhood and trunk light (RPO TR9) - 0.2Kg
Heavy Duty Battery (RPO UA1) - 2.0Kg
Power Antenna (RPO UN9) - 1.2Kg
Extended Range Sound System (RPO UU8) - 0.6Kg
Extended Range Sound System (RPO UX1) - 0.6Kg
Extended Range Sound System (RPO UM6) - 1.4Kg


So....

My car, which was a 5.0L TPI IROC with an auto box and was well optioned with everything except the 4 wheel discs brakes comes in at a porky 1,649.5Kg

Note:  Kerb Weight is with all fluids and a full tank of gas and no passengers.

Shipping Weight is with all fluids but only 3 gallons of gas.  Subtract 36Kg from kerb weight to get shipping weight...
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: HardRockCamaro on July 19, 2007, 06:42:28 PM
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
The base car can weigh up to 200kg less than the fully loaded version.


(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/manynanas.gif)
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Rocky on July 19, 2007, 06:43:02 PM
I can get the tyres done but have no equipment myself at the moment,

As for the weight it shouldnt matter too much my tester goes by closest tonnes.(http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/dontknow.gif)

They make out its all computerised now but it is still down to the guy testing it.
Title: Weight of my IROC?
Post by: Giblets on July 20, 2007, 01:15:32 PM
Mine now totals 1602.9kg, but I think I'll call it 1550kg for the MOT (http://mkb-cc.yanksrule.co.uk//Forum/smileys/wink.gif)